GU Tae Kwon Do Club
Tae Kwon Do
Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do
Tae Kwon Do, “the art of kicking and punching”, is the most popular form of martial arts in the world. The origins of Tae Kwon Do can be traced to Taek-kyeon then to Subak. Subak, the ancestor of Taek-kyeon, was the military art of the Corean Kingdom of Goguryeo over 2,000 years ago. The art featured hand strikes, kicks, joint locks, and throws. Since the people of Goguryeo had strong legs from living in mountainous terrain, the prominent feature of the art that was transmitted to Taek-kyeon and Tae Kwon Do was strong kicking techniques.
In 1945, following 35 years of attempted cultural extermination by imperial Japan, martial artists throughout Corea began forming groups called Kwan—the oldest being the Chung Do Kwan. In 1955, the name Tae Kwon Do was coined. A year later, Great Grand Master Jhoon Rhee, a Chung Do Kwan graduate, introduced Tae Kwon Do to America, where he helped promoting it into a worldwide phenomenon. GGM Rhee also created martial ballet and protective equipment gears used in sparring. By incorporating his martial philosophy of Truth, Beauty, and Love, GGM Rhee has added a spiritual foundation in addition to development of physical and mental discipline through TKD training.
Über Instructor, GGM Jhoon Rhee
• Author of TRUTOPIA, his life-long philosophy
• 10th Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do
• Founder of Tae Kwon Do in America, introducing TKD to the U.S. in 1956
• Jhoon Rhee Institute includes over 60 TKD schools in America and 65 schools
in the former Soviet Union
• Founded the U.S. Congressional TKD Club in 1965 and has taught over 300 Members
of U.S. Congress for nealy a half century
• Named one of 203 Greatest Immigrants to U.S. in January 2000
• Trained Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali
• Invented Protective Equipment used in Sparring Today
• Created/choreographed Martial Ballet, basis for Musical Forms
• Extraordinary international public speaker promoting happiness as the purpose of life
through his personal Philosophy of Truth, Beauty, and Love for Happiness of Life.
• Mentor of Georgetown University Tae Kwon Do Club since Fall 2002
• For more details, click here and also check out JhoonRhee.com.
GGM Jhoon Rhee's
"7 Qualities of a Champion"
GGM Jhoon Rhee's "Universal Creed"
The universal purpose of life is to be happy.
When I am truthful, my heart is beautiful.
When my heart is beautiful, everybody loves me.
When everybody loves me, I am happy.
When I am deceitful, my heart is ugly.
When my heart is ugly, everybody hates me.
When everybody hates me, I am unhappy.
Therefore, to be happy, I choose Truth, Beauty, and Love ~ TBL